What Everyone Should Know
Antibiotics Can Cause More Harm than Good
Taking antibiotics when you have a virus may do more harm than good:
- Taking antibiotics increases your risk of getting an antibiotic-resistant infection later.
- Antibiotics kill the healthy bacteria in the gut, allowing more harmful bacteria, such as C. difficile, to grow in its place.
- Although this infection is more commonly found in hospitals, it also occurs in clinics outside of the hospital. Read more about C. difficile.
- Antibiotics cause 1 out of 5 emergency department visits for adverse drug events.
- Antibiotics are the most common cause of emergency department visits for adverse drug events in children under 18 years of age.
It’s important to only take antibiotics for bacterial infections since they can put you or your child at risk for harmful side effects and antibiotic-resistant infections.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario