What Everyone Should Know
Antibiotics Can Cause More Harm than Good
- Taking antibiotics increases your risk of getting an antibiotic-resistant infection later.
- Antibiotics kill the healthy bacteria in the gut, allowing more harmful bacteria, such as C. difficile, to grow in its place.
- Although this infection is more commonly found in hospitals, it also occurs in clinics outside of the hospital. Read more about C. difficile.
- Antibiotics cause 1 out of 5 emergency department visits for adverse drug events.
- Antibiotics are the most common cause of emergency department visits for adverse drug events in children under 18 years of age.