Vol. 65, No. 33
August 26, 2016
|PDF of this issue|
SummaryWhat is already known about this topic?
Fentanyl Law Enforcement Submissions and Increases in Synthetic Opioid–Involved Overdose Deaths — 27 States, 2013–2014
- Drug Enforcement Administration. DEA issues nationwide alert on fentanyl as threat to health and public safety. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration; 2015. http://www.dea.gov/divisions/hq/2015/hq031815.shtml
- CDC. CDC Health Advisory: Increases in fentanyl drug confiscations and fentanyl-related overdose fatalities. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2015.http://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00384.asp
- Drug Enforcement Administration Counterfeit prescription pills containing fentanyls: a global threat. DEA intelligence brief. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration; 2016. https://www.dea.gov/docs/Counterfeit%20Prescription%20Pills.pdf
- Drug Enforcement Administration National heroin threat assessment summary—updated. DEA intelligence report. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration; 2016. https://www.dea.gov/divisions/hq/2016/hq062716_attach.pdf
- Peterson AB, Gladden RM, Delcher C, et al. Increases in fentanyl-related overdose deaths—Florida and Ohio, 2013–2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2016;65:844–9.
- CDC. Reported law enforcement encounters testing positive for fentanyl increase across US. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2016.http://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/fentanyl-le-reports.html
- National Center for Health Statistics. Percent of drug poisoning deaths that mention the type of drug(s) involved, by state: 2013–2014. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC, National Center for Health Statistics; 2014. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/health_policy/unspecified_drugs_by_state_2013-2014.pdf
- Peng PW, Sandler AN. A review of the use of fentanyl analgesia in the management of acute pain in adults. Anesthesiology 1999;90:576–99. CrossRef PubMed
- Hedegaard H, Chen LH, Warner M. Drug-poisoning deaths involving heroin: United States, 2000–2013. NCHS Data Brief 2015;190:1–8. PubMed
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Opioid abuse in the U.S. and HHS actions to address opioid-drug related overdoses and deaths. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation; 2015. http://aspe.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/107956/ib_OpioidInitiative.pdf
FIGURE 1. Trends in number of drug overdose deaths involving synthetic opioids other than methadone,* number of reported fentanyl submissions,† and rate of fentanyl prescriptions§ — United States, 2010–2014
FIGURE 2. Change in the rate per 100,000 residents and number of overdose deaths involving synthetic opioids other than methadone* and reported fentanyl submissions† — 27 states,§ 2013–2014
TABLE. Number and crude rates per 100,000 persons of synthetic opioid deaths (overdose deaths involving synthetic opioids other than methadone),* by sex, age group,† race and Hispanic origin,§ reported fentanyl submissions,¶ and 2013 urbanization** — eight high-burden states†† and 19 low-burden states,§§2013 and 2014.
|Decedent characteristic||High-burden states (n = 8)||Low-burden states (n = 19)|
|2013||2014||Percentage increase in rate, 2013–2014||2013||2014||Percentage increase in rate, 2013–2014|
|Age groups (yrs)|
|Large central metro||156||1.08||429||2.95||171¶¶||483||0.72||577||0.85||18¶¶|
|Large fringe metro||246||1.3||822||4.31||230¶¶||304||0.84||442||1.21||44¶¶|
|Reported fentanyl submissions||293||0.48||3,340||5.46||1,029¶¶||417||0.25||855||0.51||103¶¶|