- Diagnosing infection (Legionella; Mycoplasma pneumoniae)
- Investigating outbreaks (Listeria; Ebola virus)
- Describing transmission patterns (Tuberculosis;Hepatitis C)
- Monitoring antimicrobial resistance (Gonorrhea; Candida auris)
- Developing interventions, including vaccines (Influenza; Polio eradication)
OPHG blog posts on pathogen genomics:
- Infectious Diseases: Precision Medicine for Public Health, (September 24, 2015)
- What is a “rare disease”? Polio eradication and primary immunodeficiency (November 26, 2014)
- Outsmarting Antimicrobial-Resistant Pathogens (October 30, 2014)
- Genomes at CDC: Man, mouse, and microbe—it’s a genomic world! (May 23, 2013)
- Now watch this: Genomic epidemiology (September 6, 2012)
- No genome is an island (January 12, 2012)
- Genome vs. genome: E. coli sprouts in Germany (June 30, 2011)
Gwinn M, MacCannell DR, Khabbaz RF.
J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Dec 28.