Does Osteoporosis Run in Your Family?
How can osteoporosis affect my health?
How can I find out if I have osteoporosis?
How can I improve my bone health if I have osteoporosis?
- Take medications to strengthen your bones and avoid medications that can make your bones weaker.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes adequate amounts of calcium and vitamin D.
- Perform weight-bearing exercises regularly.
- Do not smoke.
- Limit alcohol use.
- US Preventive Services Task Force—Osteoporosis Screening (2011)
- US Preventive Services Task Force—Prevention of Falls in Community-Dwelling Older Adults (2012)
- US Preventive Services Task Force—Vitamin D and Calcium Supplementation to Prevent Fractures in Adults (2013)
- CDC Falls—Older Adults
- CDC Hip Fractures Among Older Adults
- USDA SuperTracker: My foods. My fitness. My health.
- CDC FastStats – Osteoporosis
- FRAX tool website
- National Osteoporosis Foundation
- NIH Fact Sheet on Osteoporosis
- Learn more about family health history