Understanding Sexual Violence
- Unwanted sexual contact
- Non-contact, unwanted sexual experiences (such as verbal sexual harassment)
- A current or former intimate partner
- A family member
- A person in position of power or trust
- A friend or acquaintance
- A stranger, or someone known only by sight
- Contact the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN) hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE. Help is free, confidential, and available 24/7. Get information at RAINN.
- Contact your local emergency services at 9-1-1.
Working to Prevent Sexual Violence
- Define the problem.
- Identify risk and protective factors.
- Develop and test prevention strategies.
- Assure widespread adoption.